Being a master with 120 ECTS and a duration of 2 years, EMSE offers students the possibility to apply to mobility programs that are not
feasible in shorter masters.
The European Master in Software Engineering promotes and considers one of its main strengths the possibility for students of completing
the second year of the master, or at least one of its two semesters, in a different university in a different country.
Currently there are several opportunities for student mobility:
- Thanks to the double degree agreements with leading universities in the world, the students can complete the second year at a partner University. There are two kinds of double degree agreements: The ones that have their own open admission period before the start of the Master studies (around November-February BEFORE the first year of studies), and the ones where admission to the double degree programme is requested during the first year of studies (December-March in the first year).
- The LLP-ERASMUS program allows EMSE students mobility to other universities in the European area for a minimum period of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months. European Union provides a monthly stipend that is complemented by States, Autonomous Regions or Universities. The student is required to pay registration fees at the UPM, being exempt from registration fees at the foreign university. The Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos of the UPM has Erasmus agreements with more than 100 European universities. More information in the External Relations Office.
- Just like UPM students can have access to LLP-Erasmus mobility scholarships during their second year, many foreign students coming from different
universities choose every year to follow EMSE subjects during their stay at the UPM, thus enhancing our multinational character even more.
Double Degree Agreements
Double Degree Programme with Admission before the start of Studies
Admission to the following double degree program opens around December each academic year, as if it were a stand-alone degree (admission must be requested independently of admission for the local UPM EMSE Master program, and with earlier deadlines). Even if the mobility is carried out in the second year of studies, candidates must ask for admission before enrolment for their first year of studies in UPM EMSE Master program.
European Masters Course in Software Engineering - UKL, FUB, UoO
The European Masters Course in Software Engineering double degree program is designed to educate the professionals in Software Engineering that are needed by the European ICT industry. This joint Masters Course aims at being the most knowledgeable 2-year MSc program in Europe that awards a degree in Software Engineering, preparing world-class students for both research and professional careers. The quality of the double degree program has been acknowledged by the European Commission awarding the Erasmus Mundus quality label on the periods 2007-2012 and 2015-2020, including a generous scholarship programme. In this program the students have the opportunity to obtain a double degree by studying each of the two academic courses in a different university out of the academic partners in the consortium. Moreover, Associated Partners offer opportunities for student internships. Up to now many students have profited by this opportunity.
Currently EMSE is out reaching world wide with associated partners in 3 continents (Europe, South America and Asia). The consortium has become a network of academic, research and industry partners.
The consortium Academic Partners are the following ones:
- Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Spain)
- Libera Università di Bolzano (Italy)
- University of Oulu (Finland)
The current coordinator of the consortium is Libera Università di Bolzano.
The following universities, research centers, and companies are Associated Partners in the consortium:
- Instituto de Ciências Matemáticas e de Computação Universidade de São Paulo (Brasil)
- Tongji University, (Shanghai, China)
- Universidade Federal University of Bahia (Brasil)
- Blekinge Institute of Technology (BTH) - School of Computing, Karlskrona (Sweden)
- Budapest University of Technology and Economics (Hungary)
- Indian Institute of Information Technology (India)
- Raiffeisen On line, Bolzano, Italy
- Würth Phoenix Srl, Bolzano, Italy
- Kiratech, Verona, Italy
- TIS Techno Innovation South Tyrol, Italy
- Elektrobit, Finland
- F-Secure, Finland
- Nokia Solutions and Networks, Finland
- VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
- John Deere GmbH & Co. KG, Germany
- IMDEA Software, Spain
- Atos, Spain
- Everis, Spain
More information in the Official European Masters Course in Software Engineering website.
Double Degree Programmes with Admission after the start of Studies
Admission to the following double degree programs opens in December each academic year to spend a mobility year in the partner University the next academic year.
Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
The University Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) in Chicago (3rd largest city in the USA) offers the opportunity to get a IIT degree on Computer Science with business specialization. The agreement between UPM and IIT implies an important discount in the Master level enrollment fees for UPM students under a double degree program (around 50% discount). The graduates from this program can enjoy 1 and a half years of work permit included in student visa immediately upon graduation. Requirements: TOEFL of 90 iBT or IELTS score of 6.5 or PTE of 63, and GRE.
University of Beihang (BUAA)
The University of Beihang (BUAA) in Beijing (China) is one of the three leading universities in China in the engineering field, with more than 26000 students, offering the opportunity to know first hand of the higher rising markets in the software business in the world.
University of Tongji
Tongji University is one of the leading universities in China, forming part of the restricted number of universities in “Project 985” and “Project 211”. It has a strong international focus, with a special orientation to Europe, with several Sino-European Campus (offices) to foster academic and research exchanges. For example, its Sino-Spanish Campus is jointly run with UPM. The Software Engineering School at Tongji University excels in research in the areas of data analytics and software optimization, among others, with strong links with local industry such as Tencent or Alibaba groups.